78 Bed Care Home, Home of Compassion, Thames Ditton, Surrey
The Home of Compassion was converted into a care home by the Nuns of Compassion from East London in 1905. It comprised of a Grade II* listed building dating from 1792 and included Grade II listed Priory and Chapel buildings. These ancillary buildings were once stand alone buildings located within the grounds of the main building but have since been inter-connected by a series of later extensions. The main building, commissioned by Charlotte Boyle Walsingham, was originally constructed as a Manor House rather than as a purpose built care facility and over many years a number of alterations and extensions have been made to the structure resulting in a very convoluted layout. As a consequence, the building was not suited for the needs of a modern Care Home in terms of access, room sizes and arrangement. Caring Homes Group proposal was to extend and modernise the care home to provide accommodation and care for elderly clients with a range of differing needs, including dementia, to the highest of standards.
The redevelopment of the existing home created a total of 78 bed spaces and comprised of 3 main components: –
Main House – This was fully refurbished and restored with necessary strengthening works carried out. The library which dates back to the original house has exceptional examples of verre eglomise panels which were carefully restored by a glass specialist.
Chapel + Priory – The internals were completely removed leaving only the external walls and Priory roof. A new steel structure was carefully inserted and an additional floor created within the Chapel building. External treatment of the roof extension was sympathetically completed in zinc.
East Wing – To make the proposition financially viable a sympathetic 39 bedroom extension with day facilities was added to the building. The detailing of which was influenced by the main building and elements that were demolished.
Due to the high status of the listing, the design and construction process required ORA to liaise closely with the Listed Building Officer, English Heritage, the Georgian Society and numerous conservationist specialists.
The completed building has been shortlisted for several awards: –
RICS South East Awards 2017 Conservation Category
Pinders Awards 2017 Regeneration Category
Surrey Building Trust Conservation Awards 2017
|Client:||Caring Homes Group Ltd|
|Contractor:||MP Brothers Ltd|
|Contract Value:||£ 12 Million|