Our employees at ORA have created the core values of: Passion, Professionalism, Creativity and Trust. These are our fundamental beliefs which underpin all that we do and assist us in fulfilling our business objectives.
We are recognised for our pro-active and creative service, designed to fulfil our client’s expectations and using ‘state of the art’ technological systems we deliver bespoke solutions to meet your requirements in a cost and time effective manner:
- Building Information Modelling (BIM) empowers the decision making process by use of fully constructed 3D Model representations at the outset.
- Digital Document Managements Systems ensure that all documentation and process management tools are readily accessible whether in the office or on the move.
- Quality Assured Management Systems ensure consistency across all projects.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is an intelligent 3D CAD model based process that equips architectural, engineering and construction professionals with the insight and tools to more efficiently plan, design, construct and manage buildings. It is a shared knowledge resource of information about a project defined from it’s inception to it’s demolition.
BIM has been integral to the day to day operations of ORA since 2009 and is used on all projects helping us to operate in a more productive manner while creating higher quality work. The employment of BIM has meant fewer surprises on site, better collaboration with client, contractor and designers and increased efficiency all round.
ORA fully adopt the working methods set out in PAS1192-2 to ensure that the Employers Information Requirements (EIR) are met, that the model information produced is of the highest quality and that the BIM Execution Plan (BEP) is followed thoroughly.
With our substantial BIM experience and readiness for BIM Level 2 collaboration we can lead project teams to maximise the benefits and efficiencies that BIM enables.
ORA BIM Management Services include:
- Full Building Design and Co-ordination
- BIM Brief and Vision Consultancy
- BIM Execution Planning
- Collaboration and Teamwork advice
- 3D walkthroughs and visualisations
- Back Modelling of Existing Buildings
- Royal Incorporation of Architects Practice Membership – Membership no 422
- Scottish Federation of Housing Associations – Commercial Membership since April 2007
- The Green Register – Approved Member
- Constructionline – Membership no 101900
- Certified European Passive House Designers – since 2010
- ARB – 4 no registered fully qualified Architects on staff
- Investors In People – achieved 1996
- IS0 14001 – achieved Dec 2013
- IS0 9001 – achieved Dec 2013
- OHSAS 18001 – achieved Dec 2013
Passivhaus is the leading international low energy design standard. It offers a robust, proven and certified methodology to help achieve the Government’s challenging carbon reduction targets for the build environment sector.
Passivhaus buildings provide significantly improved comfort and indoor air quality, as well as much lower heating bills. They are built with meticulous attention to detail and rigorous design and construction, according to principles developed by the Passivhaus Instituted in Germany, which can be applied to new build and retrofit buildings of all types.
A Passivhaus is a building in which thermal comfort can be achieved solely by post heating or post cooling the fresh air flow required for a good indoor air quality, without the need for additional recirculation of air.
The Passivhaus criteria is:
- Space heating demand ≤ 15KWh/m2/yr or space heating load ≤ 10w/m2
- Space cooling demand ≤ 15KWh/m2/yr or space cooling load ≤ 10w/m2
- Primary energy demand ≤ 120KWh/m2/yr
(including hot water, space heating and cooling, fans, lighting and appliances)
- Airtightness n50 ≤ 0.6ac/hr
Passivhaus certification is also possible for very low energy retrofit projects call “EnerPHit” which is a slightly relaxed Passivhaus standard for retrofit projects where existing architectural and conversation issues mean that meeting the Passivhaus standard is not feasible.
The EnerPHit criteria:
- Space Heating Demand ≤ 25KWh/m2/yr
- Primary Energy Demand ≤ 120KWh/m2/yr and heat load factor
- Airtightness n50 ≤ 1.0ac/hr
Alternative approaches to retrofit projects are possible using Passivhaus components.
ORA are Certified European Passivhaus Designers (CEPH) and have several certified projects within Fife, and other projects that have adopted the principles but are not certified.
As stringent government legislation and energy awareness leads to increased insulation levels in the fabric of buildings, heat loss due to thermal bridging is becoming increasingly important. Building Regulations now require that this additional heat loss be taken into account in buildings’ energy calculations. To demonstrate compliance, construction details need to be evaluated by Competent Thermal Modellers using thermal simulation software.
The use of thermal simulation software and well-considered construction detailing can also benefit clients. By adopting a “fabric first” approach, there is less reliance on alternative renewable technologies.
Our service provides:
- Psi-value calculations
- Frsi calculations
- Calculations with more than two boundaries
- Temperature Profiles
- U Values (manual and undisturbed)
ISO 9001 + 14001
ORA have a quality led philosophy which is maintained by our ISO 9001 accreditation. It aids our staff to know exactly who does what, when and how. This saves time and cost by reducing mistakes and consequently helps to improve customer services.
ISO 9001 Benefits
- Reduces mistakes and re-work
- Increases efficiency
- Improves productivity
- Increases profitability
- Wins and retains business
- Satisfy more clients
ISO 14001 allows us to demonstrate our environmental credentials. It is an internationally recognised standard that provides a straight forward approach to using less energy resource and reducing waste.
Constructionline is the UK’s largest Government owned register of contractors and consultants for the construction industry.
- We have been ‘pre-qualified’ so our clients recognise that we meet Government and Industry standards
- We save time on filling out paperwork which allows us to spend more time on your projects
- We have access to over 8000 organisations
- Scottish Home Awards 2018 (Small Housing Development (Private Sales) Category) – Hawthorn Bank, Dunfermline for Campion Homes Ltd shortlisted
- RICS South East Awards 2017 (Conservation Category) – Home of Compassion Care Home shortlisted
- Surrey Heritage Awards 2017 – Home of Compassion Care Home shortlisted
- Pinders Awards 2017 (Regeneration Category) – Home of Compassion Care Home shortlisted
- Scottish Home Awards 2017 (Small Affordable Housing Development) – Abercairney Place, Blackford for Hillcrest Housing Association shortlisted
- CIH Excellence in Regeneration Awards 2016 – Kincardine High Flats Regeneration for Kingdom Housing Association
- Green Apple Environmental Awards 2013 – Gold Award (Housing Category) for West Port, Cupar
- RICS Scotland Awards 2013 (Design and Innovation Category) – Housing Innovation Showcase 2012
- Homes for Scotland Awards 2013 – Housing Innovation Showcase 2012 shortlisted for Best Partnership in Affordable Housing Delivery and Best Green Initiative
- Green Apple Environmental Awards 2012 – Silver Award (Housing Category) for the Housing Innovation Showcase, Dunfermline
- VIBES Award 2012 – Collaboration Award for the Housing Innovation Showcase 2012, Dunfermline
- Green Apple Environmental Awards 2011 – Scottish Champion and Gold Award (Housing Category) for Passivhaus at Pittenweem
ORA committed to achieving the Investors in People Standard in 1996 in the belief that developing and training staff is in the best interest of the business, the individual and the client.
We were the first architectural practice in the UK to do so
Investors in People Standard ensures:
- We continually seek to improve the business
- We continually engage our employees
- We develop our strategies to improve performance
- We have a people strategy
- Our business plan is inherently linked to our people strategy
At ORA we recognise great talent and potential in each of our employees at all ages and we are proud to announce that we have received the Investors In Young People Award. We fully support the development of young employees and their understanding of working to encourage them in their future careers.
At ORA we place a high priority in health and safety, not only in the workplace but also in our approach to design. To demonstrate our commitment and our high standards we are accredited with OHSAS 18001
- Is an internationally recognised health and safety standard
- Ensures we operate an effective occupational health and safety management system that promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework that allows your organisation to identify and control its health and safety risks, reduce the potential for accidents, aid legislative compliance and improve overall performance
- Enables us to show compliance with important parts of health and safety law (the core criteria described in the CDM Regulations)
- Means our health and safety policy and our organisation are audited regularly