Employees at ORA have created the core values of: Passion, Professionalism, Creativity and Trust. These are fundamental beliefs which underpin all that we do and assist us in fulfilling our business objectives.
Recognised for a pro-active and creative service, designed to fulfil our client’s expectations and using ‘state of the art’ technological systems we deliver bespoke solutions to meet your requirements in a cost and time effective manner:
- Building Information Modelling (BIM) empowers the decision making process by use of fully constructed 3D Model representations at the outset.
- Digital Document Managements Systems ensure that all documentation and process management tools are readily accessible whether in the office or on the move.
- Quality Assured Management Systems ensure consistency across all projects.
To improve the quality of our information on projects for our clients, contractors and fellow professionals we use Building Information Modelling (BIM) which is an intelligent 3D CAD model based process that equips architectural, engineering and construction professionals with the insight and tools to more efficiently plan, design, construct and manage buildings. It is a shared knowledge resource of information about a project and is defined from it’s inception to it’s demolition.
BIM has been integral to the day to day operations of ORA since 2009 and is used on all projects helping us to operate in a more productive manner while creating higher standard of work overall. The employment of BIM has meant improved quality of information for site, better collaboration with client, contractor and designers which increases efficiency all round.
ORA fully adopt the working methods set out in PAS1192-2 to ensure that the Employers Information Requirements (EIR) are met, that the model information produced is of the highest quality and that the BIM Execution Plan (BEP) is followed thoroughly.
With our substantial BIM experience and readiness for BIM Level 2 collaboration we can lead project teams to maximise the benefits and efficiencies that BIM enables.
We can also offer our clients a BIM Management Services.
- Royal Incorporation of Architects Practice Membership – Membership no 422
- Scottish Federation of Housing Associations – Commercial Membership since April 2007
- The Green Register – Approved Member
- Constructionline – Membership no 101900
- Certified European Passive House Designers – since 2010
- ARB – 4 no registered fully qualified Architects on staff
- Investors In People – achieved 1996
- IS0 14001 – achieved Dec 2013
- IS0 9001 – achieved Dec 2013
- ISO 45001 (previously OHSAS 18001 – achieved Dec 2013)
Passivhaus is the leading international low energy design standard. It offers a robust, proven and certified methodology to help achieve the Government’s challenging carbon reduction targets for the build environment sector.
Passivhaus buildings provide significantly improved comfort and indoor air quality, as well as much lower heating bills. They are built with meticulous attention to detail and rigorous design and construction.
“A Passive House is a building, for which thermal comfort (ISO 7730) can be achieved solely by post-heating or post-cooling of the fresh air mass, which is required to achieve sufficient indoor air quality conditions – without the need for additional recirculation of air.”
ORA are formally trained Passivhaus Designers with experience in the delivery of certified Passivhaus buildings and have a full understanding of the design principles of a fabric first/Passivhaus approach.
Our journey started over 15 years ago, with numerous pilot projects exploring low-energy design and the impact of various strategies from a fabric first approach to integration of multiple renewable technologies. Our development has included obtaining Certified Passivhaus Designer accreditation in 2010, followed by the successful certification of two Passivhaus homes in 2010 and 2012. ORA have been involved in numerous Passivhaus projects since accreditation, most recently, 30 Net Zero Carbon Passivhaus Homes in Fife and a £50m Care Village for Central Bedfordshire Council.
To design a single Passivhaus certified dwelling is a challenge, but to design a whole development to Passivhaus standard requires a whole new level of strategy and understanding of Passivhaus principles. ORA’s expertise in Passivhaus, along with our in-house team driven by passion and creativity, puts us in the optimal position to guide our Clients, Consultants, Contractors, statutory bodies and the Community through the design journey, in a manner that will ease the understanding of what is required to achieve a Passivhaus Certified development.
As stringent government legislation and energy awareness leads to increased insulation levels in the fabric of buildings, heat loss due to thermal bridging is becoming increasingly important. Building Regulations now require that this additional heat loss be taken into account in buildings’ energy calculations. To demonstrate compliance, construction details need to be evaluated by Competent Thermal Modellers using thermal simulation software.
The use of thermal simulation software and well-considered construction detailing can also benefit clients. By adopting a “fabric first” approach, there is less reliance on alternative renewable technologies.
Our service provides:
- Psi-value calculations
- Frsi calculations
- Calculations with more than two boundaries
- Temperature Profiles
- U Values (manual and undisturbed)
ISO 9001 + 14001
ORA have a quality led philosophy which is maintained by our ISO 9001 accreditation. It aids our staff to know exactly who does what, when and how. This saves time and cost by reducing mistakes and consequently helps to improve customer services.
ISO 9001 Benefits
- Increases efficiency
- Improves productivity
- Increases profitability
- Wins and retains business
- Satisfy more clients
ISO 14001 allows us to demonstrate our environmental credentials. It is an internationally recognised standard that provides a straight forward approach to using less energy resource and reducing waste.
Constructionline is the UK’s largest Government owned register of contractors and consultants for the construction industry.
- We have been ‘pre-qualified’ so our clients recognise that we meet Government and Industry standards
- We save time on filling out paperwork which allows us to spend more time on your projects
- We have access to over 8000 organisations
- Scottish Home Awards 2018 (Small Housing Development (Private Sales) Category) – Hawthorn Bank, Dunfermline for Campion Homes Ltd shortlisted
- RICS South East Awards 2017 (Conservation Category) – Home of Compassion Care Home shortlisted
- Surrey Heritage Awards 2017 – Home of Compassion Care Home shortlisted
- Pinders Awards 2017 (Regeneration Category) – Home of Compassion Care Home shortlisted
- Scottish Home Awards 2017 (Small Affordable Housing Development) – Abercairney Place, Blackford for Hillcrest Housing Association shortlisted
- CIH Excellence in Regeneration Awards 2016 – Kincardine High Flats Regeneration for Kingdom Housing Association
- Green Apple Environmental Awards 2013 – Gold Award (Housing Category) for West Port, Cupar
- RICS Scotland Awards 2013 (Design and Innovation Category) – Housing Innovation Showcase 2012
- Homes for Scotland Awards 2013 – Housing Innovation Showcase 2012 shortlisted for Best Partnership in Affordable Housing Delivery and Best Green Initiative
- Green Apple Environmental Awards 2012 – Silver Award (Housing Category) for the Housing Innovation Showcase, Dunfermline
- VIBES Award 2012 – Collaboration Award for the Housing Innovation Showcase 2012, Dunfermline
- Green Apple Environmental Awards 2011 – Scottish Champion and Gold Award (Housing Category) for Passivhaus at Pittenweem
Investors In People
ORA have been committed to achieving the Investors in People Standard since 1996 in the belief that developing and training staff is in the best interest of the business, the individual and the client. We currently hold the ‘Gold’ status.
Investors in People Standard ensures:
- We continually seek to improve the business
- We continually engage our employees
- We develop our strategies to improve performance
- We have a people strategy
- Our business plan is inherently linked to our people strategy
At ORA we recognise great talent and potential in each of our employees at all ages and we are proud to announce that we have received the Investors In Young People Award. We fully support the development of young employees and their understanding of working to encourage them in their future careers.
Health + Safety
At ORA we place a high priority in health and safety, not only in the workplace but also in our approach to design. To demonstrate our commitment and our high standards we are accredited with ISO 45001.
- Is an internationally recognised health and safety standard
- Ensures we operate an effective occupational health and safety management system that promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework that allows your organisation to identify and control its health and safety risks, reduce the potential for accidents, aid legislative compliance and improve overall performance
- Enables us to show compliance with important parts of health and safety law (the core criteria described in the CDM Regulations)
- Means our health and safety policy and our organisation are audited regularly